There are various reasons why people opt for an electric fence. Some want to prevent predators’ evasion, whereas others want to contain some animals.
Regardless, having a fence that works excellently without costing you much is a great idea. You can power yours with solar energy to save money and conserve the environment.
As you use a solar fence, you need to understand several things about it and other necessary components. For instance, how long does it take to charge a solar fence charger?
As usual, we help you put matters to rest, especially those that determine your decisions. Let’s learn as much as possible about a solar fence and its charger.
About a Solar Fence Charger
As the name suggests, it is a device designed to power your electric fence using solar energy. It has several components that work together to help it achieve its task.
These components include the following;
- Battery:It stores any extra power, which comes in handy when the solar panels can’t produce more power, usually after the direct sunlight disappears. It is also called a capacitor.
- Photovoltaic panel:It is responsible for absorbing sunlight and generating electricity
- Charge control:its role is to regulate the voltage throughout the system
How Long Does a Solar Fence Charger Last?
Given the cost of a solar energy charger, one can’t help but wonder how long one can last. After all, paying such a huge upfront cost for something that doesn’t last for long would be unfair.
Fortunately, a solar fence charger is worth every penny despite being expensive to install. The battery may not need a replacement for the next 3 or 4 hours.
On the other hand, other components, such as the charge control and the photovoltaic panel, last even longer than that. It has proven to be a great return on investment in the long term.
Some solar fence chargers can last for about two decades. However, this period usually depends on how much sunlight the charger receives annually.
Whereas the batteries have a short lifespan, you can extend them significantly through preventive measures. For example, ensure the solar panels get adequate sunlight daily to charge your battery as often as possible fully.
Disconnect the charger and the battery if you don’t use the device often. Consequently, the wear won’t be fast, delaying the need for a replacement.
Alternatively, buy a solar fence charger with a replaceable battery. Under these circumstances, you can always replace the battery whenever necessary without buying a real charger.
How Long Does an Electric Fence Battery Take to Charge
The importance of a battery in a solar fence setup is indisputable. It enhances its effectiveness, especially at night, given the nature of its power source, which is only available during the day.
The fence remains useful despite the lack of sunlight, thanks to the battery. The same applies to nights when the panels can no longer produce solar energy.
Various factors determine the number of batteries that your fence needs. One of them is the duration your electric fence needs to be powered.
The length of the fence also determines the number of batteries you need. On average, one battery is sufficient to power up to 500 feet.
So, do the math and see how many batteries you need to run efficiently. If your solar fence charger doesn’t come with a battery, all isn’t lost since you can buy one.
However, not all batteries will be compatible with your solar charger. Therefore, take home what will work with your solar fence charger to avoid inconvenience.
Regarding the battery, you are most likely wondering how long it will take to charge fully. Most solar fence charges take about 6 hours to charge their batteries.
However, it is crucial to note that the period keeps changing even for the same battery. After all, the amount of sunlight differs from day to day.
Will a Solar Fence Charger Charge on a Cloudy Day
As odd as it may sound, a solar fence charger can charge even when cloudy and overcast. That’s because innovation has advanced, and direct sunlight isn’t necessary for charging a solar panel.
Some manufacturers understand that it may not always be sunny, but one may need to power the solar fence. That’s why these brands have developed advanced lighting products and systems.
They are strong enough to work despite the lack of direct sunlight for up to 4 days. The concept has taken the convenience of these gadgets to another level.
Besides, it is under these weather conditions that the battery comes in handy. As long as there is no sunlight, the fence will use the power stored in the battery.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a Solar Fence Charger?
Solar fence chargers have advantages and disadvantages, and they are as follows;
Advantages of a Solar Fence Charger
A solar fence charger has several advantages, including the following;
- Despite the high initial cost, you will save a lot of money over time
- Their batteries’ capacities are high enough to last several days despite a lack of direct sunlight
- It is cheaper than running an extensive electric fence
- It lacks common disruptions due to interruptions of most national power grids. Therefore, your fence remains functional at all times, even amidst power outages
- If you are looking for an off-the-grid life, a solar fence charger is ideal
- Powering the fence using sunlight is also great for the environment. Unlike its electric counterpart that uses fossil fuels, the sun is clean and renewable
- A solar fence charger is ideal if you are looking for something temporary. So, upon the need to change, it will be easy
Disadvantages of a Solar Fence Charger
- The disadvantages include the following;
- The solar fence chargers aren’t as strong as their electric counterparts
- It may not be an ideal option when dealing with long fences
- The dependency on the weather, that’s often unpredictable and unreliable, is also an issue
- The initial cost is high